Monday, September 8, 2008

How to keep Garlic fresh?

I love to buy fresh garlic very cheap at Aldi, but it never seems to stay fresh. I don't use it alot so I it to lasts for a while. I found these great tips here and here to help keep it fresh.

1. Divide the heads to cloves. Leave the the paper skins on the cloves. Place in a ziploc bag and use as needed.

2. Peel the cloves and puree them with oil in a blender or food processor using 2 parts oil to 1 part garlic. The puree will stay soft enough in the freezer to scrape out parts to use in sautéing. Freeze this mixture immediately.
***Do not store it at room temperature. The combination of the low-acid garlic, the exclusion of air (by mixing with oil), and room-temperature storage can support the growth of Clostridium botulinum.

1 comment:

Momzoo said...

Those are great ideas, I especailly like the oil puree one. I hate chopping garlic, and that would make cooking much more pleasant for me!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin