Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Easy and fast gravy

Here is a fail proof way to make a quick and easy gravy. My kids love this with rice or mashed potatoes. I cook for a family of 4--three are small kids ages 2-4-6, so this is more than enough for us...Sometimes we have enough for another meal.

  • Use equal parts flour and oil to make a roux. (I use 2 Tbs each)
  • When the oil is warm but not too hot, start stirring in flour with the wooden spoon until the mixture is thick.
  • Stir continually with the wooden spoon over the heat so the roux cooks. Cook till the flour begin to turn a golden brown. (It does cook fast so do not leave the stove)
  • Add 1 cup of water and let boil. If it get too thick I add more water.
  • To season I add salt, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin